|Date Posted||May 7, 2021|
Trades & Services
At Aqua, a subsidiary of Essential Utilities, Inc., we know that water is a precious resource - one that plays a critical role in sustaining life. That's why we take seriously our mission: protecting and providing Earth's most essential resource. At Aqua, we are guided by a set of principles that embody the character of our company and inspire our work together. They are embedded within our business practices and our behavior. We are proud to be united by integrity, respect and the pursuit of excellence to be the best we can be for the customers and communities we serve.
Together, the women and men of Aqua, a subsidiary of Essential Utilities, Inc. serve 1 million customers across eight states. Aqua uses science, technology, capital investments, and amazing talent to provide communities with clean, safe drinking water and responsibly return wastewater to our rivers and streams. Join our team and make a difference!
The Tax Manager oversees/prepares the tax provision calculations under ASC 740, maintains accuracy of the tax basis balance sheets including account reconciliations and supporting schedules. The Tax Manager is responsible for the maintenance and administration of the tax provision and depreciation systems. This role requires a high degree of accuracy and training in the practical, administrative and legal elements of tax.
- Prepares, and manages the preparation of quarterly and annual tax provision and reviews individual company tax provisions prepared by tax staff. Performs top level consolidation and review. Prepares footnote disclosures included in SEC financial statements and standalone annual reports.
- Provides analysis for periodic regulatory filings such as Base Rate Cases, PUC Annual Reports and monthly Earnings Reports.
- Develops and prepares tax basis balance sheets for regulated subsidiaries. Responsible for supporting documentation for all tax accounts in general ledger including payables and deferred balances.
- Updates methodologies and calculations of uncertain tax positions including interest and penalty calculations.
- Interacts with and supports external audit team in the review of the tax provision calculations, tax basis balance sheets, return to provision, standalone reports and all other inquiries.
- In collaboration with the Compliance Tax Manager, maintains and improves PowerTax Tax Depreciation and Deferred modules. Collaborates with plant accountants and represents tax needs when contemplating or implementing changes to the system.
- Manages general tax research and provides effective tax consulting services to other functional areas.
- Assists other finance leaders in preparation of annual budget and five-year plan including forecasting current and deferred tax liabilities.
- Provides technical support in preparing responses to federal, foreign, state, and local tax officials and regulatory authorities.
- Assists in assessing impact of proposed legislation and developing and implementing lobbying effort.
- Manages and coordinates assigned work projects, utilizes external consultants, appraisers, and legal counsel as needed.
- Manages the assigned tax team. Sets high performance standards and manages performance in accordance with all applicable HR policies and procedures. Creates an energized work environment, fostering an atmosphere that enables employee trust and engagement. Inspires confidence and motivates others to perform at their best. Develops and coaches staff while effectively addressing performance issues.
- Assists with other tasks or projects as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business, finance, law, or tax required
- Minimum of eight years of utility experience in progressively responsible positions in tax accounting with demonstrated leadership experience.
- CPA designation
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive experience in tax laws and requirements including income and franchise taxes, property tax, gross receipts tax, sales tax, and federal and state excise tax.
- Strong knowledge of ASC 740, tax research, and risk analysis
- Proven expertise in federal and state corporate tax compliance, tax research, and risk analysis, with natural gas industry knowledge.
- Previous management experience directing and overseeing tax professionals, with excellent organizational and leadership skills required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A team player able to work effectively in a team fostered multi-tasking environment
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Perform sedentary work- exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
Aqua, a subsidiary of Essential Utilities, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Equal employment opportunity is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to the following legally protected characteristics: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions, including medical conditions related to lactation), physical or mental disability, covered-veteran status, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
Aqua, a subsidiary of Essential Utilities, Inc. is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you have a condition that may prevent you from applying for a job online or need to request an accommodation during the interview process, please call (1-).