|Date Posted||June 22, 2022|
Central Life Sciences is searching for a Process Engineer in our Dallas, TX location. This position serves as the primary liaison between Operations and Technology Development Divisions with the purpose of bringing new products to market. The Process Engineer will design, plan, perform and analyze experiments to aid in the development and improvement of manufacturing processes and procedures, focusing primarily on formulation processes (including, but not limited to, solids blending, liquid blending, extrusion and injection molding).
Measures of Success
- Primarily responsible for acting as a liaison between Operations and Development Divisions regarding new products and processes (approximately 70% of effort).
- Occasionally engages in the design or troubleshooting of synthesis of ingredients.
- Application of engineering and chemistry principles to define and solve complex problems regarding mixtures and processes (both for ongoing operations (approximately 30% of effort) and new process development).
- Planning, performing and analyzing formal experiments using Quality by Design principles to include Industrial Design of Experiments and Mixture Designs.
- Designing bench-scale experiments to determine scale-up criteria for pilot plant and subsequent full-scale production.
- Designing and specifying safe manufacturing processes using Lean manufacturing principles.
- Developing process monitoring measures by identifying critical process steps.
- Application of methods to reduce process variation in order to reduce/eliminate the cause of defects.
- Support toward installation, start-up, validation and maintenance of processing equipment.
- Validation of full-scale production process (old and new) to benchmark capability.
- Promoting a safe workplace with production floor visits to ensure employees and contractors adhering to site standards, assisting with job safety analysis evaluations, modifying equipment safeties, interlocks and guarding to make it safer, and helping to develop LO/TO plans.
- Creation and maintenance of Process Development Budgets.
- Actively seeks discovery of projects to improve cost, quality, and safety through application of engineering knowledge, discussion with production team, and trial work.
- Assists in training, coaching and development of fellow engineers.
- Application and adherence to ISO 9001:2018, GMP, and GLP requirements.
- Engineering economic analysis.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Use of Microsoft Office Suite, Experimental Design and analysis software.
Ideal Candidate Attributes
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering required from an ABET-accredited institution. Other engineering disciplines may be considered for highly qualified candidates.
- Minimum of 5 years in Process Engineering, emphasizing formulation development, process scale-up, chemical synthesis, and process evaluation.
- A demonstrated proficiency in creation and analysis of Industrial Design of Experiments and/or Mixture Designs is required.
- Knowledge of Lean and Six Sigma manufacturing principles preferred.
- Experience in the synthesis and processing of chemicals and materials preferred.
- Experience in encapsulation and/or spheronization technologies preferred.
- Project Management skills required.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Office, production, laboratory, and machine shop environments.
At Central Garden & Pet (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA), we believe home is at the center of our lives, and our employees are driven by our purpose to nurture happy and healthy homes. Our company is made up of thousands of people across North America, with an emerging footprint across the U.K., Mexico, China and Canada - all dedicated to helping gardens bloom bigger, pets live healthier and communities grow stronger. We are united by our mission to lead the future of the garden and pet industries…one blade of grass and one wagging tail at a time. Visit our website at to learn more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.