|Location||El Segundo, California|
|Date Posted||June 22, 2022|
Trades & Services
The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
We remain committed to maintaining a safe environment for hiring as we look forward to the future of work. Click here for information on Aerospace's COVID-19 directives and safety procedures implemented to keep our workplace safe.
Hypersonic Trajectory Design Analyst
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Hypersonic Trajectory Design Analyst will provide trajectory analysis and optimization support for hypersonic vehicles, launch vehicles, reentry vehicles, and missiles. Selected candidates will be expected to be technical leaders and provide critical insights to a wide range of customers, engineering peers and key stakeholders and demonstrate the ability to critically think through situations and communicate effectively complex information to key stakeholders, both internal and external, with the expectation to capture new department customers and tasks . This full-time position will be a hybrid work model with some onsite work required at either our El Segundo, CA or Colorado Springs, CO office.
This position is available as a Member of Technical Staff or Senior Member of Technical Staff
What You'll Be Doing:
- You will support the US national space enterprise by developing and applying advanced techniques for solving flight mechanics and astrodynamics problems
- S/he will perform trajectory simulation and performance optimization of hypersonic vehicles, missiles, and reentry vehicles during all stages of flight from boost throughs terminal phases for conceptual design studies through operations and end-of-life phases
- Implement optimization theory and numerical methods including calculus of variations approaches, non-linear programming numerical integration
- Implement scripting techniques to perform parametric studies
What You Need to be Successful
Member of Technical Staff
- Master's degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Typically, 2 or more years of experience of flight mechanics, hypersonic vehicle modeling, optimization theory, or trajectory modeling and simulation
- Knowledge of modeling launch vehicle, reentry vehicle, missile, or space vehicle trajectories
- Proficiency in one or more of the following programming languages : C, C++, Fortran, Python, MATLAB or experience in a Unix environment
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Same requirements as a Member of Technical Staff noted above, in addition to:
- Typically, 5 or more years of experience of flight mechanics, hypersonic vehicle modeling, optimization theory, or trajectory modeling and simulation
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Ph.D. degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Graduate Level Course work, research and/or experience in one or more of the following areas : hypersonic flight simulation, launch vehicle trajectory modeling and simulation, flight mechanics, orbital mechanics, or optimal control
- A current and active TS/SSBI (SCI) security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government is strongly preferred. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
Grade-Based Pay Range
(Min - Mid - Max)
$67,573 - $117,940 - $168,307
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at or by email at . You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement , as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement .