|Date Posted||June 22, 2022|
Job Purpose: Operates self-propelled grader to spread and level dirt, gravel, and stone to finish grade specifications in construction and maintenance of earthwork structures, such as highways, streets, dikes, temporary roads, and sub-divisions.
Roles, Duties, & Responsibilities:
- Reads blueprints and thoroughly understands materials and proper handling of materials.
- Operates blade to regulate elevation and angle of slopes.
- May perform fine or rough grading.
- Operates blade with laser leveling equipment.
- Installs scarifies to ripper tips and related shanks.
- Runs, maneuvers, navigates, or drives mechanized equipment.
- Grades or redistributes earth, aggregates, or materials for the construction or repair of structures, highways, and roads.
- Aligns machines, cutterhead, or depth gauge marker with reference stakes and guidelines on ground or positions equipment following hand signals of assistant.
- Signals directions and warnings to coworkers.
- Determines the kinds of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Fastens attachments or accessories to equipment.
- Turns valves to control air and water output of compressors and pumps.
- Adjusts hand wheels, levers, and depresses pedals to drive machines and control attachments.
- Watches gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure the machine is working properly.
- Inspects equipment for deficiencies, such as tires, lights, brakes, fuses, and fluid levels and submits report indicating equipment condition.
- Determines the causes of operating errors and decides what to do about it.
- Repairs and maintains equipment.
- Reads and interprets survey markers and stakes to meet set standards.
- Reads and interprets engineering drawings and specifications.Adheres to all Hunter Contracting Co. safety policies, procedures, and instructions from management.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
- Operates machine within precision and tolerance of 100th of a foot or .008th's of an inch.
- Practices good safety habits.
- Follows oral directions and meets set standards.
- Judges distances and slopes accurately.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in the construction or repair of structures, highways, or roads.
- Knowledge of materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective construction or repair of structures, highways, and roads.
- Takes pride in craftsmanship.
- Works within precise standards of accuracy.
- Prioritizes work to meet goals or deadlines.
- Demonstrates attentive and active listening skills.
Education & Work Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience operating a blade machine; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities