|Location||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Date Posted||June 22, 2022|
Very large consumer products company has an excellent opportunity available for an Engineering Manager. This position will have 3 direct reports. Manages and coordinates the work of other Engineers within a business unit. Places particular emphasis upon the development of new product lines and expansion of existing lines through R&D and Continuous Improvement. Guides projects from concept stage to full production. Ensures that production information is communicated to marketing, operations and to other departments as required.
- Manages the R&D department and the engineering staff with R&D. Communicates data and information with marketing, operations, and other departments in a standard form.
- Having demonstrated work experience in mechanical and process engineering, and underline the importance of the development of components and mechanisms in the product development process.
- Ensures that the development of components and mechanisms in the product development process is completed in a timely fashion.
- Attends and participates in daily production meetings with various representatives of the production team. Seeks feedback from Production Representatives on problems encountered by operators with components, production equipment and work processes. Makes some Engineer project assignments based upon discussions from daily production meetings.
- Manages and coordinates engineering work activities of a staff in the development of new product lines and line extensions involving components, fabrics, production equipment or work processes. Develops hardware component designs and be knowledgeable of plastic components.
- Conducts a continuous search of new materials, processes and procedures to enhance and improve upon a product line. Manages Engineers and representatives of other departments in the design of components, R&D of new textile materials, evaluation and improvement of fabrication and tools, and methods and processes. Oversees the building of prototypes and trial runs to test and evaluate operational and cost feasibility of the product.
- Coordinates product testing with R&D project room and test lab, and performs analysis of test results and data.
- Develops and prepares project timelines and R&D budgets for new product lines or extensions. Maintains a system of budge and schedule control. Frequently communicates with Engineers on staff to determine project status and accommodations to be made to the project timeline. Interacts with representatives of other departments involved with product project to provide status updates as appropriate.
- Participates in the hiring, employee training, skill development, promotions and disciplinary actions of engineering staff within a business unit.
- Basic knowledge of the physical properties and characteristics of fabrics used in the production processes.
- Basic knowledge of business finance to estimate and manage project costs; return on investments.
- Solid knowledge of the principles of mechanical, industrial, textile and electrical engineering.
- Solid knowledge of extrusions, metal die casting and injection molding processes.
- Solid knowledge of computer use and software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and CAD.
- Expert knowledge of project management to establish timelines for engineering staff.
- Expert knowledge of communication skills; particularly preparing written correspondence and justification of engineering projects and budgets.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective work relationships.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical blueprints and electrical schematics.
- Ability to synthesize information from various sources.
- Solid knowledge and work experience in mechanical and process engineering, and understands the importance of the development of components and mechanisms in the product development process.
- An advanced degree in the field of Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering is required. Previous experience in engineering project management is preferred.
Please reference Job Code 5-21E when responding to this position. Please send your resume as an attached document in Word form.