|Location||Hoboken, New Jersey|
|Date Posted||June 23, 2022|
Pure Power Engineering is looking for a Electrical Power Engineer to provide support to our engineering team. This role provides a tremendous opportunity for development in the rapidly growing solar power industry and work collaboratively and cooperatively with various team members and clients.
About Pure Power
Pure Power is an engineering firm specializing in designing big, challenging, and high-profile Solar PV systems. As a full-service engineering firm, we create the electrical and structural drawings and calculation packages for bidding, permits, and construction, as well as supporting the lead up to the full engineering drawings, primarily interconnection support and electrical/structural feasibility studies.
Founded in 2012, Pure Power has experienced 9 consecutive years of revenue and personnel growth. You will be coming into a culture of constant education, improvement, and teamwork. We place an emphasis on training and professional development, which results in an extremely low turnover rate and employees that stay and grow with the company for a long time.
Provide technical leadership to our team in designing medium and large-scale solar and energy storage projects. Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide technical guidance to design teams.
- Prepare a variety of technical reports, documents, and correspondence.
- Standardize processes and procedures.
- Provide mentorship and training to new and junior engineering personnel.
- Design protection and relaying systems.
- Value engineering.
- Create designs, details, and drawings.
- Prepare equipment specifications.
- Specify pad mounted and pole mounted equipment.
- Review contractor's equipment submittals and shop drawings.
- Site assessment and analysis both from on-site data collection and network tools.
- Attend system startup and utility witness tests.
- Create and review commissioning reports and testing results.
- Review and lead technical discussions on power system studies to ensure grid compliance with the Interconnection Agreement, prudent industry standards (IEEE, ANSI, NEC, NESC), and owner preferences
- Designs will include medium voltage systems up to 34.5kV.
Design of ground grids and effective grounding systems.
- Develop tools to assist in power system studies and data analysis tasks.
- Develop and review electrical power system studies for Photovoltaic, Wind and BESS systems which include the following: Load flow/reactive power, Cable Ampacity (above and underground thermal), AC/DC short circuit, AC/DC Arc Flash, Grounding, Harmonics, Insulation Coordination, Protective Coordination
- Build models in ETAP & SKM by using input information from the HV substation
- Ensure studies and calculations are updated to keep consistency with project latest changes. Involved close coordination with the design team
Knowledge of Utility Standards & Incentive Requirements:
- Understand each utility's requirements, handbook standards.
- Develop relationships and a network of key personnel at utilities.
- Maintaining a current working knowledge of utility regulatory agency requirements.
- Review NERC, PUCT, ERCOT, PJM, MISO, and CAISO standards.
- Knowledge of State or utility incentive programs' technical requirements.
- Ensure our designs are compliant with all requirements.
- Understanding of relay protection schemes, control schematics, and settings.
Provide remote field support to the relay test engineers during installation of settings.
Coordinate with Pure-Power's in-house engineers on the construction documents.
- Review drawings to ensure compliance with all requirements of the utility, IA and power studies.
- Perform and support a variety of interconnection studies with outside utilities.
Coordinate 3rd party engineering firms
- Coordinate with civil and structural engineering firms
- Substation design firms.
- Power study firms.
- Experience with utility scale distribution design and power system design.
- 2+ years performing studies for Short Circuit, Load Flow, Arc Flash, Coordination, Volt-VAR, Harmonics, Lightning and Transient analysis using ETAP, SKM or similar modeling software.
- 2+ years' experience working with AutoCAD with an understanding of layer control, dimensioning and scaling, sheet sets, blocks, xrefs, line weights, plot files, and file transmission.
- Strong understanding of NEC, NESC and IEEE 1547.
- Strong understanding of PV, BESS, DER and Microgrid systems.
- Ability to communicate among construction, technical and non-technical personnel, both internally and outside the company.
- Professional engineering (PE) license.
- Ability to lead technical discussions among HV EPCs, Power Utilities, and internal stakeholders.
- Understanding of IEEE standards as it relates to grounding, arc-flash, insulation coordination, harmonics, etc
- 5+ years' experience in relay and protection design.
- Experience with substation design.
- Experience with microgrid design.
- Experience in traditional building design with a MEP firm.
- Hands on experience commissioning, testing, and troubleshooting solar PV systems.
- NABCEP certification.
- MS in electrical engineering, or other related discipline.
This position will be based out of our exciting downtown Hoboken, NJ Headquarters. Pure Power Engineering offers the flexibility to work a hybrid in-office and work-from-home weekly schedule. We are next to public transportation options from NYC and Northern NJ. We also provide a private parking spot for the days when an employee wishes to drive to the office.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. We pay 100% of our employee benefits costs and offer healthcare plans, dental, vision and 401K matching.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Pure Power is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.