|Date Posted||April 8, 2021|
Broaddus & Associates is a recognized leader providing proven planning and project management services to public and private sector owners on significant design and construction programs throughout Texas. The Texas‐based firm is consistently ranked in the Top 100 Program Managers by Engineering News Record magazine. Projects are typically for large institutional owners, including higher education, research, healthcare, government and not‐for‐ profit clients.
Our firm is presently seeking candidates for full‐time positions as Construction Manager (Construction Representative). Applications will be received until acceptable candidates are found to fill the current positions. Priority will be given to those with current / recent higher education experience with state supported schools (i.e., Texas A&M System, University of Texas System, Texas State University System, University of Houston System, etc).
The positions range in scope as follows but share many common requirements as listed in the "Experience" section below.
- Construction Manager 1 ( 5-8 years )
- Construction Manager 2 ( 8-15 years )
- Senior Construction Manager ( 15 years or more )
- Conduct daily observation of construction work for compliance with approved contract drawings, specifications, Requests For Information (RFIs), Change Orders, and approved submittals and shop drawings.
- Issue Observation Reports noting conditions of non-compliance, with proper references to detailed drawings and specifications sections. Project portfolio: Typically 1-3 projects, average value $50M - $100M. CM 1 and CM 2 roles would encounter small portfolios of projects.
- Attend early morning, evening, or after-hours installations (ex: concrete pours) requiring owner representation. Flexible hours required for construction observations.
- Maintain and organize on-site project documentation, including inspection and test reports, RFI's, Architect's Supplemental Instructions (ASIs) documents, project change control documents, etc.
- Ability to work with web-based Project Management Information Systems (PMIS) such as Broaddus' Owner In-Site and other similar owner platforms.
- Review and confirm/modify approve monthly contractor Payment Applications. Survey construction progress to confirm percent complete by trades.
- Coordinate and monitor material testing, air balance testing, and systems testing. Monitor Commissioning process, including equipment testing, functional performance tests and building integration of inter-related systems. Monitor deficiency logs to assure follow up of re-testing and system performance.
- Assist the Resident Construction Manager (RCM) and Project Management team in resolving construction issues involving architectural, civil, structural, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical issues. Draft Field Directives and Field Orders for RCM / PM approval where needed to expedite the work and document direction given to contractor. Confirm pricing with R.S. Means or other specified cost estimating tools.
- Attend Pre-Construction meeting and regular onsite construction meetings. Facilitate pre-installation meetings between contractor and subcontractors prior to start of roofing, glazing, pre-cast panels, curtain wall, waterproofing, foundations, structural framing, and other systems as required by specifications.
- Coordinate with campus facilities and operations when utility outages, noise control, traffic control or security are required by the work. Attend pre-outage planning meetings.
- Coordinate with local authorities for green field develop of services (water, sanitary, gas service, telephone, internet, etc).
- Monitor project close-out procedures, including O&M manuals, as-builts, punchlists, and warranty walk- through. Issue punchlists for above ceiling, open wall and Substantial Completion inspections, and revisit to confirm completion of deficiencies.
- Monitor and document job site safety, Storm Water Pollution Protection Plan (SWPPP) Best Management Practices & posted notifications, and follow-up on correction of noted non-compliance by contractor. Maintain SWPPP and Safety inspection files.
- Stay current in Codes and Regulations applicable to design and construction, including International Building Codes, NFPA 101, TDLR, OSHA, ADA, ASHRAE 90.1, SWPPP, and any special requirements of the building type (e.g., healthcare, research labs, special campus project types, etc.) or the local jurisdictions.
- Interface with and provide support to users and campus operations, architects, engineers, contractors, utilities, regulatory agencies to assist with resolution of conflicts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent. A Technical Degree in Construction Management or a Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Engineering or Construction Science is preferred but not required.
Licenses, Registration, or Certifications: Licensed Engineer/Architect or Certified Construction Manager desired but not required. Trade certifications are also desired, such as licensed electrician, plumber, commercial inspector, etc.).
Special knowledge, abilities, and skills: Knowledge of construction principles and practices. Ability to read and interpret Contract Documents and the ability to maintain an effective relationship with Project A/Es and Contractors. Technical certification, licensure, or apprenticeship in one or more building trades preferred.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in a construction environment and may involve exposure to various weather conditions, extreme temperatures, chemicals and chemical fumes, electrical and mechanical hazards. Work may also involve physical tasks such as repetitive use of keyboard at a workstation, use of manual dexterity, climbing of stairs and ladders, and lifting and moving.
Additional Requirements: The role is responsible for monitoring the technical and administrative aspects of design and construction projects. These projects may be new facilities or major renovations. Candidates should have strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to communicate project objectives and issues and work effectively with user groups, internal technical staff, outside consultants, and senior administration within the client organization. Sound judgment and sensitivity to issues of policy and process is critical. This position requires the ability to work effectively as a member of a team, be a self‐starter, manage multiple priorities, and complete work under pressure of deadlines.
For more information on the company, visit . Employment Benefits include a competitive salary, health insurance, 401k Plan, company paid personal time off, and long term disability insurance. See our web site for more details on the benefits we offer our employees.
Please apply via LinkedIn to facilitate better communications. Candidates with strong qualifications matching those listed above will be contacted for a phone interview and follow-up in-person meetings. Hyde Griffith is not the hiring manager but is coordinating initial candidate screening for the hiring manager at Broaddus.
Broaddus & Associates is one of the leading providers of facilities program management, consulting and planning services in the United States for owners who are planning and developing construction projects. Since our inception in 2000, Broaddus & Associates has completed or is currently managing over $9 billion in capital projects. Our firm is currently ranked 47th in the nation among program management firms by McGraw Hill's Engineering News-Record magazine. We are 3rd on that same list among firms who list construction program management as their core competency. Our project management approach combines proven Best Practices project procedures with an exceptionally experienced staff. Our senior project professionals have an average of 25 years of experience serving as planners, project managers, estimators, schedulers, architects, engineers or contractors. This is augmented by a dedication to embracing those advances in our industry that can provide additional value to our clients, such as Building Information Modeling or sustainability initiatives. This combination of standard practices, new technology and unparalleled expertise enables us to customize our services to each project and produce superior results. Employment Benefits include, but are not limited to, a competitive salary, health insurance, 401k Plan, company paid personal time off, and long term disability insurance.