|Date Posted||April 8, 2021|
LOCATION: Ukiah/Eureka, CA
At Ghirardelli Associates, we believe that thinking outside of the box is the spark to set innovation on fire. Ghirardelli Associates is a full-service construction management firm, with 20 years of experience providing service throughout California. Our company inspires ingenuity by providing cutting-edge solutions to our clients, with a commitment to exceptional service. We are proud to shape the communities we live in while creating a positive environment for our associates to foster creativity and growth.
The construction inspector will be responsible for inspecting construction methods and workmanship to ensure contractors build roadways, bridges, traffic signals, airports and related structures in accordance with plans and specifications; may serve as the only inspector on a construction project or assist in overseeing construction inspection activities for very large or complex projects within a district or conduct statewide construction inspection activities for ongoing projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attends pre-construction meetings
- Prepares a written daily report documenting construction activities, including but not limited to: contractor labor, equipment, daily construction progress, project site visitors, non-conforming work, safety issues, traffic control, field measured quantiles, field discussions with the contractor and public, takes daily project photos, change order work performed, and weather.
- Prepare a timesheet daily which records all hours worked, along with vacation, holidays, and sick leave taken.
- Consults with Resident Engineers, Bridge Engineers, Project Engineers, other project representatives, and contractors' superintendents on work progress and construction problems.
- Prepares quantity calculation sheets to support monthly progress payments to construction contractors.
- Coordinates field testing of construction materials and construction surveys.
- Coordinates communication between district/division/Department of Public Safety and other external entities.
- Ensures contractors build roadways, bridges and related highway structures and/or airport improvements in accordance with plans and specifications.
- Monitors project phasing and traffic control plans for compliance with approved safety standards
- Observes and inspects ongoing construction work.
- Performs construction record-keeping activities; recommends payments to contractors; prepares reports.
- Trains and mentors less experienced inspectors on work methods.
- Documents work progress and issues arising throughout scope of project.
- Performs other job responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be familiar with construction inspection techniques associated with the construction of roadways, highways, bridges, light rail, heavy rail, airports, utilities, marine facilities, ports, and other infrastructure facilities, when required by their current assignments.
- Must be familiar with regulatory requirements such as CalOsha, Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP), US Department of Fish and Wildlife, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Army Corp of Engineers, Regional Water Quality Control Boards, and other regulatory agencies as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field, a valid certificate as an Engineer-in-Training or licensed as a Professional Civil Engineer in California, and 2 years of experience performing construction inspection of roadways. or A master's or doctorate degree in civil engineering and a minimum of 2 years of experience in roadway construction inspection of roadways.
- Or Two years of education beyond the 12th grade in engineering or related field and a minimum of 4 years of experience performing construction inspection of roadways.
- Strong communication, verbal and written are required.
- Basic computer skills required. Microsoft Word, Excel
- Caltrans Experience, highly desired.
- Knowledge of Caltrans and Local Agency Standard Plans and Specifications and Greenbook.
- Medical Insurance - United Healthcare and Kaiser
- Dental Insurance - MetLife
- Vision Plan - VSP
- Flexible Spending Plan (FSA)
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- GlobalFit Membership
- Wellness Rewards Program
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Profit Sharing
- 401(k) Plan
Work & Life
- Bereavement Leave
- 9 Holidays
- Education Allowance
- Company Vehicle (depending on assignment)
Ghirardelli Associates is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law