|Date Posted||July 28, 2021|
Trades & Services
Initial Wage $16.25/hour + Shift Differential + Machine Incentives
40/hour week +
Sonoco Products Company () has immediate openings to work in our team environment for General Laborer positions in our Holyoke, MA Paper Mill.
The job is labor intensive. Our workforce is diverse and many of our employees, who are represented by the USW, spend their entire working career at Sonoco. We will train you for several different jobs throughout the mill including: working on the paper machine, driving a fork truck to load/unload trailers, assembly/mechanical work, computer use to print machine schedules and generate labels for finished paper, operation of a core cutter, and other various duties in a manufacturing environment. First and foremost at Sonoco is our 100% commitment to your safety and therefore you will be required to wear safety glasses, hearing protection, protective gloves and steel toed safety shoes.
The General Laborer position requires working rotating shifts including weekends, and some overtime. Reliable transportation will be necessary. Manufacturing/laborer experience is preferred but reliability and a solid work history will be highly considered.
Available benefits include: Health Insurance; Vision Insurance; Dental Insurance; Pension.
Founded in 1899, Sonoco Products Company is a United States-based international provider of diversified consumer , industrial products, protective packaging, and packaging services, and the world's largest producer of , tubes, and cores. With annualized net sales of over $5BB, Sonoco has over 22,000 employees in more than 335 operations in 33 countries, serving more than 85 nations.
General Laborer Fact Sheet
- Must be 18 years of age
- Sonoco has very strict safety policies
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be worn at all times
- Hearing protection, steel toe shoes, and safety glasses are worn at all times.
- Hard hat, arm guards, cut resistant gloves, and heat cape required for specific tasks.
- Client will provide non-prescription safety glasses, ear plugs, hard hat and cut resistant gloves. Employee is required to furnish their own steel-toed shoes.
- No jewelry is allowed.
- The position requires intensive manual labor at times including tasks such as:
- Handling slit rolls of paper
- Threading the dryers after a sheet break
- Picking up wet scrap paper when the machine is down
- Work is completed in a hot, humid environment
- Facility is not air conditioned
- Papermaking process generates a lot of heat and moisture
- Dress code does not allow shorts or sleeveless shirts
- The position is staffed by rotating shift work
- Alternating days, nights, weekends, days off during the week, etc.
- Position will require overtime on short notice (overtime not guaranteed)
- Position will require working holidays (identified in advance)
- Sonoco has a strict attendance policy
- 24 hour operation requires that positions are constantly staffed
- Reliable transportation is a must
- Drug screen and background check required
Job Duties (not necessarily in order of importance):
- Follow Safe Standard Procedures for all assigned tasks.
- Must be able to lift and move heavy items.
- Assist in the start-up of the machine.
- Assist in removing paper from all areas after a sheet break or start up.
- Assist with hauling rejected rolls to roll splitter, and split rolls if necessary.
- Assist with retrieving all necessary shipping materials from storage area
- Inspect powered equipment each shift and complete daily forklift inspection sheet
- Train on operating fork truck and/or Bobcat
- Responsible for housekeeping in the assigned area
- Assist with setup of slitting equipment
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any legally protected characteristic.